The Small-Scale Approach To Self Improvement
“What you are is what you have been. What you’ll be is what you do now.”~ Buddha
By: Kevin Tyler Smith
Follow me on Twitter
It’s no secret that I’m on a journey to make some tangible and positive changes in my life. However I recently admitted that some of those changes are coming along a little slower than I realized…OK, who am I kidding?, just about all of them are a slow work in progress.
Through this admission, it started me thinking about the whole idea of my personal development in regards to an easier and more pragmatic way to condition myself and ease into any positive changes I want to see in my life.
Following is a list of simple enhancements I listed for myself to help me start small toward building momentum for lasting change and enrichment in my life. You can adopt this list as your own. Feel free to tackle as many of these small enhancements at one time as you feel comfortable.
Warning: Figuratively, none of these small habits will require you to do any heavy lifting. But, if you so choose, you can employ your subconscious to help formulate a habit on the historically stubborn #2.
1. Wake up with a smile. Face each new day with a smile. Regardless of the challenges you’re facing, it’s important to intentionally invite positive energy and positive outlook into your life on a daily basis. When you make this a habit, you will be forcing on your psyche an infusion of positivity.
2. Exercise first thing in the morning. Cardiovascular exercise for 30 to 45 minutes each morning will provide you with several benefits, such as reduced fat, increased energy and a revitalized body. Your increased metabolism will give you extra gusto for the daily tasks ahead.
3. Eat regularly. Do not skip breakfast. This meal starts your day with the needed nourishment from a night of fasting. It’s recommended that you take proper nutrition by eating small frequent meals throughout the day to avoid mood swings and lack of energy.
4. Greet people. Whether you’re waiting at the bus stop, standing in line at the store or passing by your neighbor, take time to greet others. Spread the positive energy throughout the workplace and in your home. You will find that bringing a smile to others will evoke a more conducive and enjoyable environment.
5. Dress to impress. Practice how to comfortably power dress. Wearing things that flatter your physical assets will add confidence and convey a more positive energy around you. You will also be receptive to the challenges of the day.
6. Save. Saving money increases one’s confidence, as well as gives them a sense of calmness and contentment. Save 10 to 20 percent of your total monthly income regularly and watch your attitude improve with your bank account. Getting out of debt always takes away negative feelings and helps you establish financial freedom.
7. Meet new people. Always grab the opportunity to meet new people. You will increase the likelihood of finding others who share your interests. Eat lunch together, share ideas or exchange emails. This is a great way to relax and perhaps learn something new.
8. Buy yourself something. Even if you have very good saving habits, you can reward yourself once in a while. Buy yourself a brand new wallet, dinner to an expensive restaurant or a new suit and tie. This behavior of abundance converges especially well with #5 for the occasions when you need to “rock” your attire.
9. Enhance romance. Slow down and communicate with your spouse or partner, catch up on things. Take your partner out on a date, spend a day at the beach or bring her flowers. Mindful attention to your romantic relationship will enhance your life in a positive way.
10. Find family. Family is the best support system you have, so grab the chance to communicate with them every now and then. Give your parents a call or have dinner with a sibling. Enjoy the time together and plan activities for the future.
11. Find a sport or hobby. Having a hobby is healthy, since it gives you the opportunity to unwind and de-stress. You also free your mind of your burdens and problems for a moment. Sports and hobbies keep your emotional and mental worries at bay.
12. Meditate. Getting in touch with your inner self is very important for success. You can train your mind to accomplish tasks effectively by spending 10 to 20 minutes each day in quiet and solitude. You can also join a yoga or meditation class for starters.
13. Read more. Reading is a great hobby and also boosts your knowledge. For example, read instructional books that help you get closer to any goal you may or motivational books to help develop a positive outlook in life.
“He is able who thinks he is able.” ~ Buddha
Please share/tweet/facebook this post if you liked it, that’s how good ideas spread. Plus, I always appreciate the social love. Thank you!!!
Join other readers, get my posts sent to your: RSS | Email
>>> photo credit